30. Build A Helpsheet System
Many of your customers will face similar business challenges, so develop a helpsheet system. Here’s how it works:
- Write a one-page list of helpsheets covering topics which are of interest to customers
- While a customer is waiting to see you, have your receptionist hand him/her a clipboard with a list of the helpsheets and a request to “please check off the ones you’d like and I’ll print them out for you”
- The receptionist then puts together a promotional pack, including the selected helpsheets, and brings it to you. You can then give it to your customer – this should lead to a broader conversation and additional opportunities
- As an additional courtesy, provide your customers with the facility to request your helpsheets online
Here is a suggested list of helpsheets for a solicitor’s office:
- Is your will up to date?
- Do you have a living trust?
- Does your business have a buy-sell agreement?
- Forms of doing business – pros and cons
- Do you need an estate plan?
- Education plans for children and grandchildren
- What’s your business exit strategy?
- Minimising and managing risk
- Asset protection opportunities
Here’s a list of helpsheets that might be appropriate for an electrician:
- The importance of an annual safety check
- Saving money on your utility bills
- Keeping your home safe for children — a 10-point checklist
- Surge protection and fire dangers
- Fire alarm options
- Electricity and water don’t mix
- Emergency power supply options
- Prolonging the life of your batteries