Research shows that for the average UK business, about 1 in 5 customers don’t come back. Why do these customers leave?
- 4% die or move out of your geographical reach
- 5% are referred to another supplier
- 9% move to a cheaper supplier
- 14% are unhappy with your product or service
7 out of 10 customers who leave, leave due to “perceived indifference”, they feel you don’t care about them, they feel that they are being taken for granted and they feel that they aren’t important to you. So your job is to show you care, to do everything possible to give them sensational service, and to do everything possible to make the whole experience of dealing with you better than they can get anywhere else!
There are dozens of simple strategies to show you care, you can find some here:
- Identify little things that annoy customers… and then stop doing them!
- Identify the little things that customers love… and start doing them systematically.
- Use customer surveys to find out what your customers like and don’t like.
- Do what you said you were going to do, when you said you were going to do it, and at the price you said you would do it for.
- Under-promise and over-deliver.
- Make sure that every member of your team has the right attitude when dealing with customers at every point of contact.
And there are strategies for:
- Making sure that every point of contact with your business is distinctive, memorable and valuable.
- Handling complaints brilliantly.
- Adding the “personal touch” by making your key people more visible, approachable and accountable.
- Continually educating your customers about the benefits to them of dealing with you.
- And reducing you “no-show” rate by creating systems and scripts for gently reminding customers about meetings and appointments.